A Public Education Committee established in 2020 provides oversight for Brown’s relationship with Providence Public School District (PPSD) and is charged with recommending use of payouts from the Fund for the Education of the Children of Providence in ways that can most benefit Providence students. Members also play a key role in guiding the direction of K-12 education initiatives at Brown and ensuring that Brown is optimizing its resources to support PPSD in the most effective ways possible.
The committee meets at least two times over the course of each academic year. Every three years the committee will conduct a review of the distribution of proceeds from the fund and oversee a survey on the same schedule that will provide an assessment of Brown’s K-12 education initiatives and their alignment with evolving PPSD priorities.
The membership of the committee is structured to ensure collaboration across the University as well as with members of the greater Providence community. Members include:
- The Brown University president (chair)
- Brown faculty
- Brown staff
- Brown students
- Current or emeritus members of the Brown Corporation
- Members of the Greater Providence community
- Five ex-officio members of the Brown community:
- The Vice President for Institutional Equity and Diversity
- The Director of the Annenberg Institute for School Reform
- The Chair of the Department of Education
- The Director of the Swearer Center for Public Service
- The Education Coordinator in the Annenberg Institute
- Two ex-officio, non-voting members:
- The Superintendent of the Providence Public School District
- The Mayor of the City of Providence.
The Chief of Staff to the President staffs the committee.